Advanced Antimicrobial Stewardship Training Program
An “Advanced Antimicrobial Stewardship Program” was launched at the Annual MAD-ID Meeting, in 2011. This program is designed to meet the ongoing educational needs for those practitioners who have stewardship practice experience and/or basic education and skills training in this area of practice. Formerly delivered via a combination of live programming and online lessons, plus a practical component, the entire didactic component is presented at the Annual Meeting (to view the entire Annual Meeting agenda and to register, click here). A practical component (completed at the participant’s place of practice) is still required. This Advanced Program will satisfy all ACPE requirements for “practice-based activities” (formerly referred to as “certificate programs”) and will address such topics as stewardship application in specific settings and patient populations, collecting and analyzing stewardship metrics, and novel approaches to promote stewardship programs and initiatives. In addition to the opportunity to earn a certificate of completion, participants will earn up to 16 hours of continuing pharmacy education (1.6 CEU).
Program Process and Content
Global Learning Objectives
- List and apply advances in antimicrobial stewardship at the participant’s home institution/health system.
- Describe the latest changes in antimicrobial resistance of clinical relevance to therapeutics both nationally and internationally.
- Understand and apply advances in antimicrobial therapeutics, including such things as new agents, new vaccines and pharmacodynamics principles to patient care at the patient and system levels.
- Describe changes in the regulatory landscape relevant to the management of patients with infectious diseases and their implications for antimicrobial stewardship programs.
- Apply both epidemiologic and infection control and susceptibility surveillance methods, including the use of electronic data capture software, to assist in the analysis and interpretation of data reflecting anti-infective use, stewardship programs/interventions, and antimicrobial resistance
- Prepare a plan to measure both patient outcome and economic impact of stewardship programs/initiatives at the institutional level
- Propose methods for assessing quality improvement through local national and international benchmarking techniques
- Prepare and implement an ongoing plan to successfully cost-justify new and established stewardship programs
- Describe advances in diagnostic techniques (e.g., rapid molecular tests, biomarkers) and propose methods to incorporate their use/application to stewardship initiatives
- Describe and defend how clinical pathways and other system-based approaches help influence appropriate antibiotic selection and use
- Describe various methods to collaborate locally, regionally, nationally and internationally in advancing the science and practice of antimicrobial stewardship
Part 1: Live Component; 2020 Program Learning Objectives
Part 2: Practical Component
*The practical component should be completed within 12 months of the date of completion of Part 1 of the live sessions. For more detailed information, specific instructions on completing the practical component, and examples of acceptable projects click here
To download a practicum cover sheet, click here
Certificate of Completion
Continuing Education Credit
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirement and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME). MAD-ID is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education (CME) for physicians.
MAD-ID designates this live activity for a maximum of 16 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
|Registration Fee (2018); paid when registering for annual meeting||$225.00|
Group Registration Fees are available (groups from same institution):
|1-4 participants||$225.00 per person|
|5 or more participants||$215.00 per person|